Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Start of Something New

Last night I was initiated into a Sorority Club with lots of pomp and circumstance and some well placed humor.  I was warned to wear loose clothing and to have a spot picked on my body for the formal tattoo of the Sorority emblem.  

Needless to say, I had to give some serious thought to even joining when I decided that with the humor some of them had, this was a joke on me.  It was.  No blood letting or tattooing process.  Only someone holding my hand so as not to get away and for someone "standing" for me during the process.  
There was lots of "vowing to" and listening to lots of rhetoric symbolizing the purpose of "sisterhood."  

I was presented with a ribboned pin, a yellow rose and a secret handshake.
Secret handshake? Yup! So secret, I can't even remember how to do it. I will have to practice that one at the next meeting - if I can find someone who knows how to do it.  

There is something wonderful belonging to a club where we all have something in common even though we come from different backgrounds and have different interests.  There is a common bond of knowing that we "belong" and that we are the "favorite" to a select few.  Wonder what a convention of all of us together would feel like?  Something to think about.


For now, I am glad that I am "vowed" in and that the only secret part of the organization is the handshake.  On to the community service and doing good for the masses not as "chosen."  I know that all of us are truly blessed in our lives.  

No comments:

Post a Comment