Monday, May 23, 2011

Today, we will write music...

           For my enjoyment and because it was something I always wanted to do, I take piano lessons.  I am not very disciplined and don’t always have the time to practice but I have kept up the process.

            One day, my instructor said, “Today, we will write music.”  Write music?  Okay.  He asked me to pick a cord with my left hand and I did.  I choose a C cord.  Then he asked me what notes went with a C cord for the right hand?  I played them.  He then asked to me vary the cadence and rhythm.  I did.  I felt like I was just playing around and didn’t realize that he was writing down the notes as I was playing them.  Shortly, we went on to something else.

            The next week I sit down to his piano and there in published form is my composition of the week before.  I was stunned.  My music on paper!  I played with my right hand and recognized as I remembered “my song.”  He played it for me, and my heart opened.  I had a professional playing a song I wrote.

            That week we worked on variations of the theme and I now have three pages of “my song.”  One Easter Sunday, it was presented at the Church for Today and played by our pianist, Fred Harris.  Again, I was astonished that something that beautiful came out of me. 

            The lesson in is to just do it.  A lot of the time, when getting ready to ‘write,’ for example, I have to have clear and clean it up my desk, my pens need to be just so, my mind ready, my favorite coffee cup nearby and, then, maybe, I am… ready.  Today, we will write music.  Today, I will write.  Today, I will exercise.  Today, I will….

No comments:

Post a Comment