Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Spiritual Community


            Since semi-retiring earlier this year, I have been feeling the separation of being with and in a spiritual community.  I have not been comfortable returning to the community I retired from and there isn’t another similar community in the city I live. 

            One of the reasons we need spiritual community is to keep us in the conversation of Spirit.  There seems to be an added dimension of hanging out with people of similar belief systems that add to what it is that we are experiencing. 

            The value of being with people is to remind us of what it is that we know, what it is that is important to us, and what it is that we need to practice in our lives in order to continue dancing playfully through life. 

            When things are going good in our lives, we tend to forget what it took to get there.  Maintaining that level consciousness is as tenuous as when we were working to get there.  Recently, I told my prayer partner that I wanted to “bask in the glory of grace.”  Even I had to stop and think about that request for a minute.  Having achieved this level, I want to stay and go even higher.  Once achieving a new level takes getting use to and it needs to become familiar before we can go up to the next level.

            I invite you to think about finding a spiritual community that challenges you to think bigger, greater and in different ways of being.
I know there are many ways to create community and so, my challenge, is to explore different ways of doing this for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment