Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Unconscious Pet Owners


I had an experience of meeting someone new who had recently adopted a pet the size of a small horse – a Great Dane.  This dog was a mature, full sized, mammoth with no manners or discipline.

There isn’t anything I detest more than a dog that snuffles crotches.  Maybe even owners who let them get away with it thinking “isn’t it cute!”  After lifting it’s head, commanding “NO!” and turning away from it, I got attached from the rear, which is even more startling than a frontal attack. 

Needless to say, I about lost it.  I berated the animal in a firm, loud voice.  But the darling owner, was so busy talking, she didn’t even appear to notice what was going on.  How can people be so oblivious as to what is in front of their faces?

The whole experience left a sour taste in my mouth not only for the owner, but large dogs too.  I know dogs sniff to get a “feeling” or a “vibration” from people, but does it have to be crotches?  Training places teach “sniffing the hand,” which in my estimation is a lot more pleasant and civilized.

Is there a method of “training” unconscious or insensible owners, other than a baseball bat to the head?


No comments:

Post a Comment