Sunday, November 10, 2013

Indulging in Personal Development


This week I started a class in German cooking.  Wow!  The instructor came in speaking German and our recipes were in German. 

This is a real challenge for me.  Even though, my first language was German. I haven’t used it since pre-grade school days. 

I finished the first class with a headache, feeling stressed and with a strong desire to quit the class thinking that I didn’t have to put myself through this nonsense that this stage of my life.

The second class was actual cooking.  Again, I wanted to quit.  I had forgotten how bland and unappealing German cooking is.  Get this, chopped cabbage, covered with hot water, with fried bacon bits and the all time favorite, vinegar!  Blah!

The roast pork was different because of the spices - but edible.  Since taking other cooking classes, I have learned that I like a little more taste and accomplish it with using stronger spices.

Went to a bookstore and found a German and English dictionary along with a workbook on basic language skill building.  Now, I have to discipline myself to work through the lessons to see if they will assist me in understanding the dialect of the German our instructor is using. 

Back to the actual cooking…did find out that whipped heavy cream doesn’t need a lot of sugar to be tasty.  She used just a bit of sweet currant jam that was folded into it and then used as a filling and topping on what she called a cake.  It was very tasty.  But the “cake” was labor intensive and I would never make it unless I had a lot of time to devote to it. 

As with most cooking, everything is made from scratch.  The difficulty is translating the recipes and thinking metric instead of the English system (imperial).  Now, I have to brush up on my math skills too.

At this point, I am willing to go to class three…beyond that…who knows.  At least I am working on building brain skills that experts say is needed to ward off Alzheimer’s disease.  I can see me now, 105 years young, chattering away in German that no one but me understands.  Very gratifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment