Friday, February 26, 2016

Reframing the Present

 The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for.  And the most you can do is live inside that hope.  Barbara Kingsolver

In every house I have lived in, there are some things I miss.  For example, in our last house in Texas, we had a small room that we outfitted with two recliners, bookcases, a small table with a lamp on it between the recliners, and a very small television set, and a CD player.  I was such a pleasant room that I took to calling it our "enchantment room."  It was comfortable, quiet, cozy and always warm or cool depending upon the season. 

In our current house, we have a "catch all" room that I took to calling the "craft room" because it holds my sewing machines, yarn supplies for knitting, crochet, pattern books, table, storage cabinets and small leather chair with foot stool for reading or research.  I like the room but I never liked the label for it.  

While reading a magazine the other day, an artist referred to her "junk" room as a "studio."  It was like the lights went on in my head.  Of course, I have a studio where wonderful ideas and projects are created and manifested.  

When I told my beloved that I was changing the name of the room, he told me to put up a sign so he would remember.  How funny!  He uses the room to read when I want to watch some television program he can't abide.  So, now I have a "Studio, formerly known as the Craft Room."

My lesson in all of this is that all I have to do is reframe something that I don't like or just rename it so that it becomes more comfortable to use or refer to in my life.  Now, how simple is that?  Why haven't I thought of that before in my life?  I invite you to "steal" that idea to make your life "simple, fun and easy." 

No comments:

Post a Comment