Monday, February 21, 2011

Aiming for second best.

Several years ago, I took on a client who wanted to be coached in clearing her attitude about competing in a body building exposition.  I asked her about the routine, what she had to do to train, and then we talked about the other competitors.  She stated that she didn't think she could score high enough to knock out her "first" place winner.  I say "her" because she had it in her head that she could never beat the woman slated for first place.  After several more sessions, I flat out asked her what she wanted to accomplish in the competition.  Her answer - second place.  I was stunned.  I was coaching someone for "second" place.

She was a real learning lesson for me.  I have since recognized the people who are aiming for second place instead of batting out of the ballpark.

In starting something new in my life, I always question where my aim is and how far do I want this to go.  Several times, I have aimed out of the ballpark just to see what happens.  Wow!  Those times, I really was the best.

Excellence tastes wonderful and having cultivated the taste, I want it all to be that in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment