Saturday, February 9, 2013

Adjusting to change



 "The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide you’re not going to stay where you are.”
-       John Pierpont Morgan –

These kinds of life changing decisions are hard on the body, mind and spirit.  We live in the times of having too many choices and so making a decision can sometimes stop us in our tracks.  It has had me stymied that it was doubly hard to overcome the inertia to move forward.

My living areas are now cleared of my usual clutter and comfort.  I am living in a sea of boxes, Spartan furniture and I am feeling the vast discomfort of change.  The area I live in is very diverse and so when we decided that some of our furniture was not going to make the move, I wondered where it was going to go.  I started carrying some items to the curb for our garbage pickup and before I could get more items out there, there was a man already loading up the discards.  When I talked with him, he was more than willing to come by the next day with his buddies and load up the rest of the furniture.  The house is now filled with echoes.

In my past life, I know that every move I made was an upward trend into something bigger and better.  I know that this move will be the same but I am still feeling the loss and the grief about it.

For instance, we bought this beautiful piece of furniture for this house to use as an island for our kitchen.  It had a butcher-block top with lots of doors and drawers for storage and a pull out half table for extra servicing space.  Our new kitchen doesn’t have room for it and when it went out the door, I wanted to cry because I haven’t gotten enough use out of it.  I know that one of the guys will make sure it gets a good home and I am glad that I could feel the generosity of the gift to move on.  But…for now, I am sad.

I know some people thrive on change.  I know, I know.  Change is all there is in this Universe, but I don’t like it.  But for now, more packing…

No comments:

Post a Comment