Thursday, May 30, 2013

Think Expansively


Few people think things through.  Few people realize that thought creates the experiences in life.  Few people think through what quick-fix choices have on long-term events. 

Recently, I was able to visit and spend time with some friends that I have known for over 30 years.  What was amazing to me is that we have been able to stay in touch even while all of us have moved cross-country and back. 

What I realized more than anything, is that I have always been able to think what my decisions would have long term for me.  Money is a good example of what I am talking about.  One friend decided years ago that she was going to retire and because of it, has very little money for what I am going to call “comfortable living conditions.”  She doesn’t have any savings and now needs some medical work done and she can’t afford it.  Not only that, she wonders why I want to go back to work.  Well, I want to be able to afford more wonderful experiences during this life journey.  I want to be able to afford whatever life presents to me whether it be medical or having enough money to take a road trip or a dream vacation.

Another friend is just to “tired” to learn something new or to take the class that will move her up the salary scale in her career.  Yet, she complains to me how she doesn’t have enough money to do what she wants to do.

Another didn’t pass a journeyman’s test that would take her to the next level and she just gave up.  In essence, she gave up on herself.

One thing I have discovered about myself is that I don’t always “get” what I need the first time I read or see something.  But I have learned that if I write it down or read it two or three times, it suddenly “dawns” in my mind what is going on. 

I can’t afford to give up on myself because I don’t have relatives willing me their estate funds when they die.  This life is up to me.  That is why I have never had the luxury of “not” thinking through the consequences of my thoughts.  I encourage you to think farther down the road than just around the next corner.



No comments:

Post a Comment