Friday, January 27, 2012

Snotcicles


Wanting to up my skill level of writing, I have been reading some very interesting books on how to do that and some have encouraged me to just practice writing.  One even lists subjects in which to touch on in order to be able to write about just about anything.  One of the subjects being “snot.”

After being as eloquent as I could about snot, I was telling my beloved about the exercise and he looked at me and said, “Did you write about snotsicles?”  No, I had forgotten all about having to brave cold weather and having all of the body fluids freeze solid.

Going back to my days of growing up in North Dakota, I remember several days of walking to school when it was so cold that I could hardly breathe.  I was so bundled up that it was hard to walk and still I was cold. Even the scarf that was wrapped around my head, throat and mouth had frozen. 

In a fit of frustration, when I got to school, I reached up and swiped my hand under my nose and inadvertently broke off a snotsicle and took nose hairs, skin and built up snot.  Ouch!  Now, I am bleeding half frozen blood.  Yuck!

Since most of my memories of growing up are of being cold in the winter and being bitten by mosquitoes in the summer, I am delighted that I now live in the south and we only have several weeks when it is cold and certainly nothing like the snotsicle weather of North Dakota.  I have traded mosquitoes for other more disgusting bugs that I don’t even want to know what they are called.  Everyone says we need a “hard freeze” to kill the bugs. 

Haven’t decided whether the trade of snotsicles are worth the bugs or not but I truly love where I live now.  

1 comment: