Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Let's All Get Healthier


Years ago, my former husband, Bud, heard a story and the finishing line was, “How would God handle this?”  He used that line when faced with challenges, problems, dealing with customers and when he had to solve some major problems.  He placed that line on stickers and had them everywhere.  The bathroom mirror had one, the car dash, his company truck dash, one was discretely placed on the corner of my desk pad, and the refrigerator in the kitchen had one.

Later when he was experiencing his end of life challenges, I was dismayed and disappointed that I didn’t have the encouragement and support of my spiritual colleagues.  I know it is hard to find the words to comfort someone whose loved one is sick or in the transition of expelling the spirit into another dimension.  Sometimes just saying things like, “what do you need?” or “I am sorry” helps tremendously.

Right then and there, I decided that I wanted to change the line of, “How would God handle this,” to “How would an emotionally healthy person respond to something like this?”  Or even “How would a spiritually healthy person respond to something like this?”  

The experience with Bud promoted me on a quest to learn how to be healthier in all of my dealings.  I realized that I wanted to be a good example of someone who was not only supportive but who knew how to give the kudos when necessary.  It is called, “being a person of value.”  That means knowing when to uplift someone else. 

Recently, a good friend and colleague came out with a tremendous application for the iPhone and she expressed disappointment that none of the “higher ups” in our organization even spoke to her about it.  I realized that all of us are in our own stages of dysfunction and haven’t yet learned how to be emotionally or even spiritually healthy.

How sad for us to be associated with a large group of people who don’t know how to support or even congratulate someone else when they do a good deed.  How can we expect to be the best spiritual information network when we can’t even get out of ourselves long enough to pass on the information? 

Help me stop the madness!  Won’t you join with me in cheerfully telling others how wonderful they are, what a great job they did, or congratulating them on deeds done exceptionally well.  Not only does it make the other person feel good, it makes us feel great! 


No comments:

Post a Comment