Monday, August 27, 2012

Load'er up


Years ago, I took a weekend class from Jean Houston, where we studied the life of Jesus.  We reenacted several of the highlights from his life.  What I distinctly remember is after the trial of Jesus, he had to drag his cross (I doubt that it was a simple 4 x 4) to the area of his hanging.  In order to reenact it, we were to pick up our chairs and walk around the room with them on our back.  The instructions were to bend our knees, reach backwards and pick up the chair and pull it up onto our backs, straighten our knees and walk.

I am walking, walking, and walking.  Suddenly, I see a guy nearby carrying not just one but five, six or seven chairs on his back.  I was stunned with that picture and went into overwhelm with the implications of all it.

How many times do we carry the required load and stop to pick up more than is necessary?  Just to show that we can do it? Why do we think that what we do has to be hard or harder in order to succeed?  What are we trying to prove and to whom?

Since that time, I often remind myself that “easy does it, too.” I don’t have to complicate something that has an easy fix nor do I have to make something really hard in order to move forward.  And I remember not to take on someone else’s stuff in order for me to be successful, happy or whatever.

My motto is simple, fun and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment