Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Taking the Leading Part


Somewhere in the writings of Ernest Holmes, he tells us, “We must be careful and not get into ruts; always be doing something new and different, and you will find life becomes a great game in which you are taking the leading part.” 

Coming up with new and different ideas every day, or week or month can be challenging.  Who knew there were that many “new and different” things to be, do or have?  The idea being that we stay active in every area of life.

I love learning how to do new things that I am interested in.  My issue is always having the time to devote to those interests.  Learning how to speak and read Spanish is one of those interests.  I have done a lot of fits and starts over the years and when I have a chance to speak Spanish to someone, I stumble over what words are appropriate in the situation. 

Years ago, I wanted to learn shorthand.  It still interests me but again I rarely find the time to practice or do what they suggest, which is to take dictation from the evening news.  Do you know how fast newscasters talk?  I didn’t think so.  Believe me, it’s fast.

Now when I am in a conversation with someone on the phone, I go into my craft room and sit and use my foot - cycle just to get in some exercise.  Whenever did I find time to work full-time?

Staying active in life is easy.  Determining which part of the activity I want to participate in each day is my challenge.  I can remember a time in my life when I didn’t have choices.  How blessed I feel now to know that I am surrounded with a multitude of choices and having the freedom to walk away and start something completely new and different.

I am no longer retired; I am actively finding more and more fun things to do.  Join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment