Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Learning Lessons


While reading a book yesterday, I came across this quote from Peter  Ouspensky, a prominent Russian philosopher and writer of the early 20th century, who use to ask his students who got upset about the insults, gossip, and actions of other people (I translate “criticism”), “Is there truth in what that individual said?”  If the answer was no, Ouspensky would say, “Well, then, why should you be disturbed?  Stay focused on your purpose.”  What is your purpose?  To identify mentally and emotionally with harmony, peace, wisdom, understanding, success, right action, and beauty.  It’s as simple as that.

In other words, what people think or say about you is none of your business and what the above tells me is to pay attention to what my truth us and to stay focused on what I need to do to feel good about myself.

I have noticed that I  sleep better when I have done something that feels good, done something where I have learned something, moved my body in exercise, and when I feel that I have completed what I needed to do that day.  And it really helps if I take the time to record some of what happened during the day in my journal.

It is said that every night Columbus recorded the activities of the day in the ship’s log and then added, “Today, we moved westward.”  He paid attention not only to the complaints, illnesses, mutiny threats, but also the progress they made.  I sometimes forgot that the most important thing to record is the “progress” I made. 

How soon we forget but it is the most important thing to record.

No comments:

Post a Comment