Thursday, July 30, 2015

Paradise Where?

Voltaire understood that "Paradise is where I am."  Wherever we go, we carry the universe within us, feeling deeply connected to everything.  Alexandra Stoddard

Often wondering what the Kingdom of God looked like to me, I realize now that I never thought "big" enough.  I would come up with one good idea and I never went beyond that thought.  I now ask, what was I thinking that I thought only one idea was enough?  Where in the world did I come up with that so-called truth in my life?  Or, who told me that and I accepted it at face value?

And it is hard for me to accept that living in Oklahoma is "Paradise" for me.  Granted, we have had lots of great opportunities living here and certainly have improved the quality of our lives, but "Oklahoma"?  

There is also an element of fear of being here - nature is loud, in your face, with lots of variety.  Two weeks ago, we had a storm shelter installed in our garage.  It is a hole dug through the concrete, with a steel box set into the hole, lined with more concrete round the edges, with a sliding door on top.  When the door is open, there are stairs leading down into it with not a lot of room.  But when the next tornados are circling, it will be a comfort to have a safe place to go.

But what to do about the earthquakes?  Earlier, this week, we had 4.5 that reminded me of the quakes we experienced while living in California.  No where to go, no where to hide, and nothing to do, but ride it out.  


I realize that my Paradise Kingdom is filled with variety and that the only way to feel connected and safe is to open that doorway and allow Infinite Presence to hold me close and keep me safe.  I also realize that Infinite Presence will also provide me with wonderful discoveries that surprise and delight me.  Thank you God for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment