Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Gifts, Talents and Skills

We are here to do a great work because the Mind that created us knew what It wanted us to do when It created us.  Raymond Charles Barker

I have often wondered if I did what God intended me to do in my lifetime.
Granted, my life is not over, but wonder... I have.  Since it is not over, what is left for me to do? 

A relative was expecting a baby and she related a conversation she had with her Pediatric doctor.  She mentioned to him how apprehensive she was about having the baby because she didn't know what to do when she got to the delivery process.  Her doctor chuckled and replied, "Your body already knows what to do because it is hard wired and was at the beginning to know how to handle having a baby."

When we question what our purpose of life is, I think we are hard wired for that also.  When I made my decision for ministry, it was the most natural thing for me at the time and it seemed "right" once I came to that conclusion.  Everything in my prior life lead me to that.  

For example, to supplement my early income, I sold Avon products for years, then sold Princess House Products.  All the while, I was doing accounting and bookkeeping work.  I took classes in business, but it seemed boring to me at the time.  Later I managed an office building and interacted with many different firms and businesses.  I was pulled to learning how to speak in front of groups as I joined Toastmasters.

Little did I realize that something bigger than me was prodding me forward.  I needed the business experience to do ministry.  I was still "selling" only this time it was an intangible - God.  I used bookkeeping and accounting to keep tract of what was happening weekly in the business of the church.  

As my former husband told me once, "You would have had to be deaf, dumb and blind not to do what you are so good at." 

We all have gifts, talents and skills and I think they are not only interchange but that they expand as we use them and lead us into different areas of being and doing.  Who knew that when I was working a group of attorneys as a bookkeeper that that experience would land me in the ministry?

What is left for me to do?  Maybe write, and through writing teach.  While teaching and sharing my wisdom, maybe assisting others to have the confidence to move forward in their lives.  While moving forward, maybe realizing that giving value, being an inspiration and a good example is what is next for me.  I invite you to be bold and live your life out loud in whatever it is that you were destined to do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment