Friday, December 11, 2015

Holiday Merriment

"Oh, come let us adore me," says Jeffy on Family Circus.

For a lot of years, I was so focused on "getting it all done on time," that I didn't have time to enjoy the process.  I think the reason for the season is for us to slow down, take in the wonderful holiday songs, enjoy the activities of the holiday, take time to enjoy the fireplace, hot chocolate, and eat peppermint candy canes.

In this morning's newspaper cartoon series, the Family Circus, Jeffy (I think that is what the red-headed little boy is called) is sitting on his bed in his pajamas singing, "Oh, come let us adore me."  I love it.  I have been singing since.  

That is the other thing I seem to have lost in my years of "getting it done" - a sense of humor about the season.  Somewhere along the line, I forgot to enjoy the process of what winter time is all about.  Now, I see it as a time to truly slow down, stay cuddled up with fluffy afghans in front of the fireplace, and use the time for deep contemplation and planning.  

In years past, I would use this time to reflect on the year and figure out what needed to be completed so that I could start the new year off on a clean slate.  When you have multiple projects in process, completion may not be feasible.  

As I look out my office window to the tree outside, it's beautiful yellow and red leaves are being blown off by the tremendous wind.  What else I notice about the wind, is that it is clearing the leaves by blowing them down the street.  


One part of nature is changing and getting ready to rest, the other is already in hibernation for the winter.  It is all part of the process.  My lesson in all of this is to flow with the order of things.  It is time to rest, enjoy the lights, the music, the slower pace, developing patience in standing in lines at the stores, keeping a cheerful attitude and being kind all the while singing under my breath, "Oh, come let us adore me!"  Sing with me?

Sending lots of season blessing to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment