Saturday, March 10, 2012

Trees Where I've Lived


We bought some trees for our backyard recently and while my Beloved was digging the holes, I got to thinking about all of the trees I have had in my life.  I got really sad when I realized that while in California, our lemon, orange, avocado and cherry trees reached maturity about the time we moved.

Every place I have lived, there were new trees planted.  The last house I was in, I grew five oak trees from acorns.  What fun it was to watch them come up, grow, thrive and begin to look like mature trees instead of being in the gangly teen years.

I got really sad when thinking about all of the trees I have left behind. 

This week, somewhere in my reading, some wise person was quoted as saying that “wherever you are, leave some value.” 

Trees are my value.  So, instead of being sad about the trees I left, I got really happy thinking about all the joy someone was having eating the cherries, avocados, oranges and lemons.  The last house will have lots of shade trees this summer.  Maybe even an apricot or two this spring.

The Monterrey Oak we have just planted is still a teenager and will need some years to flesh out and look like a real tree.  I have had the joy of watching all of the trees grow, thrive and provide lots of green against a vivid blue sky. 

My value is not only trees, but the beauty they bring wherever they are.  I think I like that lasting legacy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment