Saturday, March 24, 2012

What did that say?


Years ago while serving in my first church in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, I was driving through Denver on my way to a minister’s meeting at Mile High.  Passing a fundamental church marquee, I caught a glimpse of a statement about paying attention. 

I drove around the block and parked to get the whole message.  It was as follows:  “Life is free.  All you have to pay…is attention.”  That is like the statement Ernest Holmes has in the textbook about, “Every man must pay the price for that which he received and that price is paid in mental and spiritual coin.”

Recently, I decided that I again was going to work on my consciousness in order to not only increase it, but to allow more of what life has to offer to be revealed within me.  Digging into my files, I found the following in my Consciousness folder:  “We build consciousness by 1.  Showing up.  2.  Paying attention.  3.  Telling the truth.  4.  Releasing the outcome.”  I don’t know who the author is of this little gem but it keeps biting me in the posterior sections of my anatomy. 

Pay attention.  Since I have heard this most of my life, I really have to tune in to “pay attention” whenever I hear it.  We get messages from so many levels within us that it is sometimes hard to get that the messages we hear or feel or sense are really for us. 

Thinking about what it is that we want or thinking about what is going on or thinking about what is important in our lives, that is paying attention and paying in spiritual and mental coin.  Pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment