Sunday, April 15, 2012

What did I just hear?


While at Asilomar several years ago, I went to a class where we started with a meditation.  So, being the dutiful student, I closed my eyes, got still and then heard the most beautiful music.  I had to do it.  I opened my eyes to see what was playing.

The workshop leader was playing the oddest looking flute I had ever seen but it had the most gorgeous, melodious, heart felt music I had  ever heard.

After the class, I went forward to speak to the workshop leader to question her about the instrument.  She told me it was a Bass Flute and that they were very rare.  I mentioned that I would do some research when I got home to see if I could find one. 

She told me, “Don’t bother.  They are very expensive and you probably couldn’t afford one.”  Excuse me?

Thinking that if she could afford one, so could I.  So, I asked her, “How expensive?” 

She replied, “About $10,000.”

My feeling when I left that workshop was, “Well, we will see about that!”

Since I was serving in one of our San Francisco Centers, I went home and told that story the next Sunday.  One of the men in the congregation came up to me after the service and said, “I have two Bass Flutes, want one?” 

“Yes, how much?”

“$1,000.00,”

“Let me think about it,” I said.  A tenth of what “she” told me I would have to pay.

Time went on and during the next six months, I did a lot of work with his wife who was nearing the end of her life.  About three months after she had made her transition, I call him to find out how he was doing.

He told me that I had been on his mind and that he wanted me to have the Bass Flute.  Again I said, “How much?” 

“$100.00,” was the answer. 

“I’ll take it.” 

We met the following week and when he came into my office, he was carrying two instrument cases.  One was the Bass Flute and the other was a “G” flute.  He told me that he just wanted me to have the other flute.  How wonderful!  So, for the price of $100.00, I received two flutes from the universe. 

Doesn’t get any better than that! 



No comments:

Post a Comment