Monday, April 9, 2012

Where Am I, God?


Traveling north to Oakland for a meeting one day, I realized that since I had been on this freeway, there was a lot of construction going on.  My off ramp was closed.  This was unfamiliar territory for me and I didn’t know where I would end up?

         I remember thinking, “now what?”  I heard this voice in my head as though someone were sitting next to me in the car that said, “Take the next off ramp.”  The next one?  I am in the inside fast lane, and have to cross three other lanes to get there? 

About the time I wanted to answer, “Are you nuts?” I drove into an area where the cars next to me and behind me seemed to disappear.  I had a clear shot off the freeway.

Now I am in an industrial area with huge long warehouses, massive 18-wheeler trucks and me in my little trusty car!  “Where am I?”  Again the voice, said, “Take the next right.”

This is where trust really kicks in.  I was committed and I knew that I had to get out of this area because there wasn’t a friendly face anywhere.  So, right turn I did.  I drove for several blocks and again the voice said, “make this right.”  I did.  I drove another block and I knew I had to turn left and I was on the street I needed to be on.  Five minutes later, I was at my destination.

Sitting in the car for a moment, I asked myself, “What just happened?”  I got myself into and out of a situation that could have delayed me, really gotten me lost, and no one would have been the wiser as to where to look for me.

Thank you, God in me, for always knowing where I am and speaking loud enough for me to hear the directions I need to get to where it is that I need to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment