Saturday, December 13, 2014

Wait! Whose Story is This?

During a conversation with a good friend, she, off the top of her head, explained why all of "my" activities of the recent years were exhausting me  when I told her that I was tired and had again given notice that my last Sunday at Unity of Norman would be December 28, 2014.

Listening to her talk about my story stunned me.  Wait, whose story is this and why is she telling ME my story?  

And the light dawned!  She has no story to tell.  How sad that she choose to tell my story as something that she discovered.  

Just as recent, an acquaintance of mine, called me and suggested I read a book about the "Harbingers of the Old Testament" because she wanted my opinion on it.  Why would I want to read about a radical Rabi justifying being Jewish?  I have enough books to read about being a good Science of Minder.

While in the ministry, I have accumulated several thousand books which I have professed on several occasions that I want to read.  I have done that and have disposed of many.  Many more to go.  My story friend, suggested I reread Julia Cameron's "The Artist's Way," to get an inspiration on what to do next in my life.  

It took everything I had in me to not blast her!  You read the book.  Tell me what You got out of it.  It is time for You to live Your dream and allow my dream to be all mine.  No wonder we are encouraged not to tell people what it is that we want to experience in our lives.  The ideas and dreams get dumped on big time.  


Have I learned my lesson?  You bet!  She can get her news from me through our annual Christmas letter.  Maybe she will discover something she would like to do, or dream, or have an idea of her own.  God, I hope so.....

No comments:

Post a Comment