Friday, January 29, 2016

Run Away? Why?

For where does one run to when [s]he's already in the promised land?  Claud Brown

For years, one of my sister's and I would joke about running away, but not having a place to run to.  Where would we go?  And, unfortunately, we were never ready to run at the same time.  There was a whole world "out there" but no where to go.

Remembering my early years, when I was struggling to maintain food, clothing and shelter, 
I said that "someday" I would have enough money to go where I wanted, when I wanted to and do what I wanted to.  My "someday" has been with me for several decades and I still have the yearning to run away occasionally.  But where would I go.  I usually escape to the library, or a movie, or lunch in a fancy restaurant alone.  

Since having had my surgery, my mouth is not in the best of shape yet, all I want is to eat a prime rib when what I have to do is puree most of my food in order to get it past the tender spots in my mouth.  Living in the promised land with a tender mouth is a challenge.

Currently, I am reading Sarah Ban Breathnach's, "The Simple Abundance Companion," and at the end of each chapter she has added an exercise called, "Write Your Way into Wholeness."  Writing my way into my wholeness I have had to recognize that this is my time slowing up, resting, healing and doing what she calls, "Approach the day as if it were an adagio - a melody played in an easy graceful manner."  Why would I want to run away from an "easy graceful manner?"  

Ah, this approach has taught me yet again to change how I look at what is going on in my life.  I live in a promised land.  I have all I need and could possibly want right now.  My life is rich and I am so blessed - for truly I have an extraordinary life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment