Sunday, March 27, 2011

What's next?


I read a quote by Thomas Edison that said, “If we did all the things we were capable of doing, we would literally astonish ourselves.”  I remembered thinking, “what would it be like to astonish myself?”

Several summers ago, I got into doing what is called pen turning.  This is putting little bits of wood on a spinning lathe and carving these wood pieces into cylindrical pieces and then assembling them into pens.  I love fountain pens and thought, “Wow! A new pen.”  So, I ordered the assembly pieces and got started. 

When it was finished, I loaded it with ink and sat down to write with it for the first time.  I pulled out my journal book and fully went into a feeling of overwhelm.  I realized that the journal I was using was the one I had written several years ago, the pen in my hand was one that I had produced and I just had to sit with the experience for a while.

I had an astonishing experience.  It was like nothing I had ever experienced before.  Now that I have had one, I want more.  So, my  next question is, “what else am I capable of doing?”

No comments:

Post a Comment